4/25/2009

J-O-B

I know that I wasn't great about keeping the blog updated in between my first in-person interview and the job offer. I was extremely nervous about the job and wasn't sure if I was going to get it or not. The first and second interviews went REALLY well and I didn't want to jinx it by blogging about it, or even really talking about it. 

And I'm glad that I did because on Friday April 17 NxStage called and officially gave me the job offer. Well, they told me I was their front runner for the position on Friday and gave me the official offer on Wednesday April 22.

So here is some information on my future place of employment:






NxStage is a public, medical device company in Lawrence, MA that develops, markets and manufactures portable dialysis machines for patients with Acute Renal Failure and End Stage Renal Disease. They were founded in 1998 and have around 200 employees.

This is their dialysis machine called the NxStage One. I think it's a great treatment option and has the potential to help a lot of ESRD patients. 
Currently, there are only three major treatment options for people with renal failure. 
1.) Kidney Transplant (not very likely to get one)
2.) Hemodialysis: an external dialysis machine is used to filter the patient's blood. The process is extremely effective but requires the patient to go to the a clinic three times a week.
3.) Peritoneal Dialysis: the peritoneal membrane is used as the filter. The process isn't as effective but it allows the patient to do it at home and work dialysis into their schedule. 

NxStage One is a great product because it's  an effective way of replacing kidney function as well as giving the patient treatment scheduling flexibility. They are also free to travel.

As a Clinical Research Associate. I will assist in writing research protocols, site communication and management, and site monitoring activities. The latter responsibility means that a lot of traveling is involved. The job description quoted 60-80%, which means I will be someplace new each week. The trips are restricted to the US but are pretty much all over.

For those who know me, this job is PERFECT. I get to work on research projects from a planning perspective, meet and work with a lot of nurses, doctors, and hospital staff, as well as travel frequently. I mean, HELLO!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment